Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Christmas books

I'm currently working on the following four books, all of which I received for Christmas. I keep one in my car and read while waiting for Samantha's school to let out or take it with me to appointments. I use one as a devotional, one as my fiction novel, and the other for extra moments.

Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss This book is amazing!!!! It will definitely be one that I long remember and keep on my top list of life-changing books. No matter what happens to us in life, we can always find proportionately more to be thankful for as believers. Life itself, spiritual blessings and a promised future in heaven, and on and on. Even bad health is something to give thanks for because it helps us see our weakness and dependency on Christ. I highly recommend this book!!!

Falling in Love with Jesus by Dee Brestin and Kathy Tracolli
This book grew on me the longer I read it. The highlight of the book is taking a look at Mary and Martha of Bethany. They were definitely 100 percent in love with their Lord; Jesus showed His love for them in such unique ways. I would highly recommend this book for singles. It's also a good read for married women, to remember who our first love should be.

All the Tea in China by Jane Orcutt I have just started this one, and so far, so good. I'm looking forward to seeing how this young British Victorian woman gets used by God in her dream to serve God in China. Her gender limits her from being a foreign missionary unless she's married, but she finds a way.

Stories Behind Women of Extraordinary Faith by Ace Collins
This is a compilation of great women including Harriet Tubman, Mother Teresa, Lottie Moon, and Fanny Crosby. I had asked Dave for missionary biographies for Christmas and this was what he found. I'm learning a lot about these women but reading it through a critical lens because the author emphasizes more of human accomplishment than God's work. It's wonderful to learn the details about the subject's lives, however, and Ace is a wonderful writer. I think he falls into the trap of overtelling their accomplishments because he's so gifted. He also exalts the role of women, coming from more of a "liberated" viewpoint. I recommend this book for a light read.

No comments:

Post a Comment